Colon Cancer Treatment in India
Colon Cancer Treatment Cost in India
- The overall colon cancer treatment cost in India is approximately USD 7,000, all-inclusive.
- The success rate for colon cancer treatment depends upon the stage of cancer. While for localized colon cancer, the success rate is 90 percent, for colon cancer that has spread, the success rate is 71 percent.
- Some of the top oncologists treating colon cancer in India are Dr. Harit Chaturvedi. Dr. Malay Nandy, Dr. Ashok Kumar Vaid, and Dr. Suparno Chakrabarti. The best hospitals in India include Jaypee, Medanta - The Medicity, Fortis Memorial Research Institute, and Artemis Hospital, Max Hospital and Dharamshila Narayana Hospital and Dr Hari Goyal
- Typically, colon cancer treatment will require a hospital stay of 7 days and three days outside the hospital.
About Colon Cancer
Colon cancer is when abnormal tissue growths known as polyps turn cancerous cells anywhere in the inside of the 5-foot long colon or large intestine, in the last part of the digestive tract. When cancer has extended to the rectum area, colon cancer is also known as colorectal cancer. Although the polyps can also be benign, over time, it can turn into colon cancer, which is why doctors recommend regular screening.
Colon Cancer Treatment
There are various forms of treatment available for colon cancer, depending upon the location of the malignancy, the stage of growth, and any underlying health conditions. The most common procedures are surgery, radiation, chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and targeted therapy.
Surgeons operate to remove the polyps and some of the healthy tissue surrounding them in a process known as surgical resection, which is the most common form of treatment for colon cancer. Based on the size and extent of the polyps, the surgery is of three types:
- Polypectomy: This is when the surgeon inserts a colonoscope through the rectum to the colon to remove polyps. Oncologists will use this method when the colon cancer is in the initial stages, is small and localized.
- Laparoscopic Surgery: If the polyps are more significant, the surgeon may opt for a non-invasive surgery using incisions made into the abdomen to remove polyps.
- Colon Surgery: If the polyps are too large to be removed laparoscopically, then surgeons will perform an open-abdomen surgery to access the colon to remove the polyps. Surgeons may remove a section of the colon as well. If the removed part is small, the healthy portions may be connected, and if the part is large, the surgeons may place a colostomy.
Radiation therapy uses high powered x-rays in a targeted manner to destroy the malignant cells. Doctors may use radiation when there are small areas of cancer that are not operable to remove malignancy entirely. Doctors may also use radiation to reduce the size of tumors to make them operable after colon cancer surgery doctors may use radiation to make sure that no cancer cells are left behind to spread to other areas of the body.
Chemotherapy uses powerful drugs to destroy cells that multiply rapidly, such as cancer cells. It may be used before surgery to reduce the size of a tumor, or after surgery to remove any remaining cancer cells. Chemotherapy is especially helpful in targeting cancer cells that have spread beyond the colon.
Oncologists often use targeted therapy in advanced stages of colon cancer by identifying the specific cancer genes and proteins and then hitting them with drugs. This therapy blocks the growth of cancer with minimal damage to healthy cells.
Unlike other forms of colon cancer or colorectal cancer treatment that target the malignancy, immunotherapy uses drugs to enhance the body’s immune system and its capabilities to attack cancer. Also known as biologic therapy, immunotherapy is generally used in cases of advanced colon cancer, to restore and improve the immune system.
Factors affecting Colon Cancer Treatment Cost in different states of India
Colon Cancer Surgery Cost In India: The actual cost of colon cancer surgery in India will depend on the type of surgery. There are many top hospitals with experienced doctors that perform colon cancer surgery.
Colorectal Surgery Cost India: The cost of colorectal surgery is in the range of USD 4,500. The specific price depends on the extent of cancer and any additional colorectal cancer treatments required.
Average Cost For Colon Cancer Treatment In India: The average cost for the colon cancer treatment will depend on the forms of treatment that the oncologist has prescribed, based on the patient’s health condition and stage of colon cancer.
My late father died from end-stage colon cancer, and I was always afraid I would also end up the same way. Last year my doctors found polyps in my colon, and I knew I had to take action. Hospals connected me with an excellent oncologist in Gurgaon, and my laparoscopic surgery went smoothly. Today, I have made a full recovery, thanks to Hospals.
- Olawale, Nigeria
I had a few small polyps, and I kept delaying treatment for them. Finally, the pain became too much, and I had to get treatment. I found Hospals and through them, a great doctor in India. I underwent radiation and surgery with no complications. I am now back on my feet, enjoying my life.
- Dina, Ethiopia
My local doctors diagnosed me with colorectal cancer. I knew I would have to get a colostomy, but I was terrified. Hospals helped me through each step of the way, connecting me with a brilliant doctor that guided me throughout the process. I am still getting used to my colostomy, but I could not have hoped for a better doctor.
- Jamila, Yemen
I have been battling diabetes for several years now. When my abdomen started paining, I was worried something serious was wrong. Doctors diagnosed me with colon cancer. After the initial shock wore off, I took action. I found Hospals, and they found me an affordable and effective treatment package in India. My entire trip to India went well, and I returned home with my cancer in remission.
- Faheem, Oman
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?