Suffering From Arthritis in Knee: Which Treatment Do You Need?
Do you know that your knees are the most stressed joint in your body? It takes out a lot of stress on a regular basis. We use our knees to perform various activities throughout the day. However, we don’t really stop to think about them unless we feel pain or discomfort. This signals that something is wrong with our pair of knees. One such neglected condition is osteoarthritis. This needs medical attention at the right time.
What is Osteoarthritis?
This causes painful inflammation of the knee joint. It harms the slippery tissue that covers the ends of bones, causing them to rub together, resulting in pain, swelling, and loss of motion.
When to seek medical help for osteoarthritis?
- If the pain or inflammation does not go away with time
- Even after trying the medications, physiotherapy, and home remedies the pain is not getting relieved, then you should visit your doctor as early as possible.
The condition of your knees can get worse if left untreated.
Why do you need treatment for osteoarthritis?
If you are suffering from the symptoms including-
- Pain in the knee that gets worse after walking,
- Difficulty while using stairs
- You find it difficult to stand up after sitting for a long time
- stiffness around the knee joint
- Warmth feeling surrounding the area
- Loss of mobility or flexibility
- You may hear a crackling sound while using the joint
Your doctor may recommend a treatment plan i.e suitable for you to relieve these symptoms of osteoarthritis.
Also, Read - 6 Best Knee Replacement Hospitals in India
How will your doctor diagnose arthritis?
After a thorough medical check-up and physical examination, your orthopedic surgeon may recommend a few tests to confirm the diagnosis like-
- X-rays - can show the damaged bone and cartilage, and the presence of osseous structures like bony spurs.
- MRI -When X-rays do not reveal a clear cause for joint discomfort or when the X-rays indicate that other types of joint tissue (in the knee) may be injured, MRI scans may be ordered.
- Blood tests- the doctor may suggest blood tests to rule out another possible diagnosis like the uric acid level in your blood(to rule out gout) or any abnormal level of inflammatory immunoglobulins(proteins) to eliminate rheumatoid arthritis.
What are the treatment options available for osteoarthritis?
As per the experienced bone disease doctor in India, the basic goals of treating osteoarthritis of the knee are pain relief and mobility restoration. In most cases, the treatment strategy may contain a single or a combination of the following(If necessary)-
- By maintaining a healthy weight
- Apply icepacks to the area
- Aim for doing light exercise like brisk walking, cycling
- Avoid doing high-impact workouts like jogging, running
- Along with your doctor-prescribed medications, go for physiotherapy to improve the mobility and flexibility of the knee joint
- Wear knee sleeves
- Walk with support like a cane(if possible)
- Medications- doctor prescribed pain-relievers and anti-inflammatory medicines along with shots of steroid injection.
- Do not take any OTC pain relievers on your own without having a consultation with your doctor.
- If all the above-mentioned treatments are not working effectively, your doctor may suggest surgery as a last resort treatment for your knees.
The surgical options include-
Is surgery required for treating osteoarthritis?
- Knee arthroscopy- A small telescope (arthroscope) and other small devices are used in arthroscopy.
Small incisions are used to carry out the procedure.
The surgeon looks into the joint space with the arthroscope and removes the damaged portion.
If damaged cartilage or bony parts are identified, the surgeon can remove and restore them.
The treatment is frequently used on younger patients (under 55 years old) to postpone more serious surgery.
- Osteotomy- An osteotomy is a treatment that involves modifying the bones to improve knee alignment.
If you have damage is limited to only one part of your knee, your doctor may recommend this one.
It may also benefit your broken knee that has not healed properly.
- Arthroplasty-Arthroplasty, or joint replacement surgery, is a surgical treatment that involves the replacement of joints with artificial pieces composed of metal or plastic.
One side of the knee(partial) or the complete knee may be replaced.
Joint replacement surgery is often done for patients over the age of 50 who have severe osteoarthritis.
For how long the surgical outcome will last?
According to our panel of bmt specialists in India, if the prosthetic joint wears out after a few years, the procedure may need to be redone.
However, with today's technological developments and medical equipment in India, most of these joints will last for more than 20 years.
Like any other surgery, knee surgery also carries some risks, but the outcomes are often positive.
Also, Read - Joint Fusion Surgery - Types, Procedure, Recovery
How long will it take for complete recovery from osteoarthritis?
It is impossible to fully heal from knee arthritis. However, medicines, physical therapy, and other therapies can help you feel less pain, redness, swelling, and stiffness.
Why should you consider getting bone disease treatment in India?
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical skills, and
- Bone disease treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality health care.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are searching for knee replacement hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical tour to India, bone disease treatment can substantially benefit the patient with their orthopedic-related therapies. We also offer a comprehensive range of physiotherapy and surgical therapies to international patients during their post-discharge recuperation vacations.