MRI Scan: Procedure, Cost, Precautions All You Need To Know
An early diagnosis can reveal a lot about your body and help you to get the right treatment whenever it’s required. One such important diagnostic tool for regular check-ups is MRI. In this blog, we have discussed when you need to go for an MRI, safety measures before the procedure, MRI scan costs in India, and many more.
What is an MRI?
To obtain a detailed image of the tissues and organs, a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan is required. It uses radio waves and magnetic fields to create a detailed image of the affected organ. It is recommended after head injuries, strokes, tumors, breast cancer, joint disorders, spinal cord injuries, and other conditions.
What are the conditions diagnosed with MRI?
Your doctor may suggest you have an MRI to diagnose conditions related to the brain, heart, spinal cord, breast tissue, or ailments related to other body parts.
In the brain, it is used to diagnose conditions like-
- Brain tumor
- Head trauma
- Dilated or damaged blood vessels of the brain
- Spinal cord injury
- Multiple sclerosis
A heart MRI is necessary to diagnose-
- Congenital abnormalities
- Blocked or occluded blood vessels of the heart
- Damaged heart muscles
- Heart valve disorder
You need to go for an MRI of the spinal cord, if you have-
- A cancerous bone tumor
- Dislocation or herniation of a spinal disc
- Infection of the bone Joint damage
- Low back pain caused by neural damage
How does an MRI work?
MRI does not use radiation, unlike x-rays and computed tomography (CT) exams.
Radio waves, on the other hand, re-align hydrogen atoms that exist naturally in the body. This has no effect on the tissue's chemical composition.
As the hydrogen atoms return to their normal alignment, they emit varying amounts of energy depending on the type of tissue in which they are located. This energy is captured by the scanner, which then uses it to create a picture.
The magnetic field is created in most MRI machines by passing an electric current through wire coils.
Other coils are located inside the machine and, in some cases, are positioned around the body part being imaged. These coils transmit and receive radio waves, generating signals that the machine detects.
A computer analyses the signals and generates a series of images, each depicting a thin slice of the body. The radiologist can examine these images from various perspectives.
MRI can often distinguish between diseased and normal tissue better than x-ray, CT, and ultrasound.
How much does an MRI scan cost in India?
An MRI scan cost can vary based on the location. However, the average cost may range from INR 1500 to INR 27000.
The MRI scan cost in Chennai ranges from INR 6000 to INR 14000. Most of the labs in Chennai are NABL(National Accreditation Board for Testing and Calibration Laboratories) accredited.
What precautions do you need to take before an MRI?
- Patients who have any type of implant in their bodies must be checked for compatibility before proceeding.
- Persons undergoing an MRI scan must remove all metallic objects from their bodies, including jewelry, metal ornaments, watches, hair ornaments, belt buckles, safety pins, phones, purses, wallets, credit cards, and so on.
- Sedative medication will be administered to patients to alleviate anxiety or claustrophobia.
Why should you consider getting an MRI scan from India?
India is the most favored place for treating gastric issues for three major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- advanced diagnostic tools
- medical skills,
- Board-certified and experienced surgeons, a few of them are also nominated with ‘center of excellence awards
- India’s hospitable environment,
- MRI scan costs in India are affordable in comparison to other countries, which ensures the quality of treatment in India is at par with the other countries around the globe.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you need to undergo treatment in India, we act as your guide throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and endocrinologists’ opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.
Conclusion- In India, we have world-class hospitals that offer the most advanced diabetes treatment options that exceed international standards. So, if you're thinking of taking a trip to get treatment in India, you can count on us. Our effectiveness as a center for providing quality care in India has been demonstrated by our treatment outcomes and patient satisfaction.