Sports Injury: Treatment, Prevention, and Recovery
You should participate in sports and do regular exercises to stay active. But this may sometimes lead to injury. Accidents, incorrect training and posture while doing exercise, inability to stretch properly, and the use of inadequate equipment can all result in many forms of injuries.
If you want to lead an active lifestyle without getting injured, you should know a few facts on how to prevent such injuries, when to seek medical treatments, and many more.
In this blog, we have discussed the same with our eminent sports injury treatment specialist in India. Continue reading to know more.
What do you mean by a sports injury?
Sports injuries occur when the musculoskeletal system (muscles, bones, and related issues) is injured while participating in sports or other physical activity.
What are the most common sports injuries?
Sports injuries may vary based on the severity and the body parts (ankle, knees) that get affected due to sports injury.
- Ligament tear-Ligaments(the connective tissue that connects bones) can be stretched, twisted, or torn. The anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) is a common ligament injury.
- Knee injuries- include sprain, strain, fracture, ligament tear, and meniscus injuries.
- Soft tissue injuries- trauma in the muscles, ligament, and tendon.
- Sprain and strain- twist and tear the muscles or tendons.
- Fractures- can be hairline or compound fractures due to stress to the bone.
- Swollen muscles or soft tissue inflammation- swelling along with the redness and discomfort in soft tissues like muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
- Dislocation-When a bone is dislodged from its socket in a joint, it causes pain, swelling, and immobility in the affected area.
- Rotator cuff injuries-The group of muscles and tendons that surround the shoulder joint and connect to the humerus (upper arm bone) are damaged or torn.
Who is more prone to sports injuries?
As per the sports injury treatment doctors in India, sports injuries can happen to anyone. But a few individuals are more prone to such injuries-
- Those who are not in good physical condition.
- Wearing the wrong protective gear is a big no-no.
- Participate in contact sports that may include colliding with other players.
- Participate in exercises that require you to jump, run, pivot, or change direction swiftly.
- Exercise without any warm-up.
What can you expect if you have sports injuries?
The prognosis following a sports injury can vary based on the nature and severity of the injury. Most sports injuries are mild and may be treated with rest and easy rehabilitation techniques in a matter of days or weeks. Broken bones and concussions, for example, may require medical attention and can take months to heal.
How sports injuries are treated?
Minor injuries, such as moderate sprains and strains, can often be treated at home for two or three days utilizing PRICE therapy.
Protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation (PRICE) are acronyms for protection, rest, ice, compression, and elevation.
- Protect the afflicted area – for example, by using support – from additional injury.
- Rest - limit your daily physical activity and avoid exercising. If you can't put weight on your ankle or knee, crutches or a walking stick may be useful. If you've hurt your shoulder, a sling may be useful.
- Ice – every two to three hours, apply an ice pack to the affected area for 15-20 minutes. A package of frozen peas or anything similar will suffice. Wrap the ice pack in a towel so it doesn't come into direct contact with your skin.
- Compression- Use elastic compression bandages to keep swelling to a minimum.
- Elevation - whenever possible, keep the damaged body part elevated above the level of your heart. This may also aid in the reduction of edema.
When should you seek medical care for sports injuries?
Even though sports injuries can be treated with home care and remedies, in some cases they might need medical attention like-
- If the swelling is not reducing over time.
- Uncontrolled bleeding and redness over the affected area.
- Inability to move or use the affected area.
- Deformity or unbearable pain in the affected area
How the recovery is like?
- A full recovery can take anything from a few weeks to a few months or more, depending on the sort of injury you have.
- You shouldn't return to your former level of activity until you've fully recovered, but you should try to move the injured body part as gently as possible.
- Gentle exercises should help to enhance the range of motion in the affected area.
- Stretching and strengthening activities can be added as the movement gets easier and pain reduces.
- Make sure you don't try to accomplish too much too soon, as this can cause recovery to be delayed.
- Begin by practicing a few simple exercises repeatedly and then gradually increase the time.
How can you prevent such injuries?
- Injuries can be avoided by utilizing good techniques, using proper equipment, and stretching before and after activity.
- To prevent such accidents utilize suitable protection for the sports that have a higher risk of hazards, such as helmets, knee and elbow pads, and gloves. To avoid injury in several sports, it is recommended that you exercise on a regular basis.
- A continuous strength training program can help to reduce the chances of developing soreness.
Also, Read - Osteopathy vs Orthopaedics: Know The Difference
Why should you consider getting sports injury treatment in India?
For the following reasons, India is the most popular destination for orthopedic surgery treatment.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical expertise,
- Affordable treatment cost
- Success rate
- Post-surgical follow-ups
- post-surgery rehabilitation(if necessary)
Our patients need high-quality and cost-effective health care that we can provide effectively in comparison to other countries around the globe.
How can we help you out with sports injury treatment in India?
If you are in search of sports injury treatment hospitals in India, we will guide you throughout your treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.