ACL Reconstruction For Ligament Tear: When Do You Need It?
If you have been into sports like football, volleyball, basketball, or soccer, then you might have heard the term ‘ACL injury. Or if you are someone who wants to get back to sports focussed lifestyle after an ‘ACL tear’, then your surgeon may recommend you to have ACL reconstruction surgery. Before undergoing such a procedure, you need to know a few facts about the surgery. This will help you to make an informed decision with your doctor. In this blog, we have discussed the same with our experienced ACL reconstruction surgery specialist in India.
What is an ACL injury? Does it require surgery?
ACL injuries are the most common knee injuries for sports that involve sudden stops and changes in direction. ACL(Anterior Cruciate Ligament) is a band of tissue joining the thigh bone(femur) and shin bone(tibia) at the knee joint.
It runs diagonally through the inside of the knee, providing stability to the knee joint.
ACL reconstruction surgery will help to resume your daily activities without any restriction. Even you can get back to the field as well.
Related Article - ACL Reconstruction vs Repair - Understanding The Difference
What is ACL reconstruction?
This is a surgical procedure that involves the removal of the torn ligament and is replaced with a strip of tissue that usually connects muscle to the bone (tendon).
The graft tendon comes from a different area of your knees such as the patellar tendon or hamstring or from a deceased donor.
Why do you need to undergo such a procedure?
As per the best ACL reconstruction surgery doctor in India, if your lower leg extends too far forward, your ACL can be torn. If your knee and lower leg are twisted, they might potentially tear.
An ACL injury can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- landing awkwardly after a jump
- abruptly halting
- abruptly altering direction
- colliding with another person, such as during a football tackle
- Your knee may become exceedingly unstable and lose its full range of motion if the ACL is torn.
It may be difficult to accomplish some movements, such as turning on the spot, as a result of this. You might face difficulty participating in some sports after an ACL injury.
Related Article - ACL Reconstruction Recovery - Do's & Don'ts After ACL Reconstruction
How ACL reconstruction surgery is performed?
- ACL reconstruction is performed with arthroscopic surgery.
- Your doctor will make small cuts around your knee and implant tiny tools and a camera. This approach leaves the skin less scarred than open-knee surgery.
- It takes around an hour to complete the operation.
- You can get general anesthesia, which will put you to sleep during the procedure, or regional anesthesia, which involves your doctor injecting medicines into your back so that you won't feel anything in your legs for a few hours.
- If you're having a regional anesthetic, you'll almost certainly be given medication to help you relax during the process.
- To correctly position the graft, your surgeon will drill sockets or tunnels into your thighbone and shinbone, which will subsequently be tied to your bones with screws or other devices.
- The graft will act as a framework for the growth of new ligament tissue.
What can you expect after surgery?
- You can go home on the very same day after you recover from anesthesia.
- Your surgeon will advise you to walk with crutches before returning home. This is to avoid any extra pressure from your knee joint.
- Your surgeon may ask you to wear a knee brace or splint to safeguard the graft.
- Follow your surgeon's instructions for when to put ice on your knee, how long to use crutches, and when it's safe to put weight on it.
- Your medical personnel will guide you on when to shower or bathe, when to change the wound dressings, and how to take care of your knees after surgery.
Also, read - Cost of Knee Replacement in India
How long will be the recovery period after ACL reconstruction surgery?
- After an ACL reconstruction, a patient can return to sports usually after six to nine months of surgery.
- The level of pain associated with ACL healing varies, although it can be effectively managed with OTC(over-the-counter) medicines and pain relievers.
- The amount of time it takes for a patient to recover varies as well.
- The restoration of muscular strength, range of motion, and proprioception of the knee joint are used to determine when a patient has fully recovered.
Benefits of ACL reconstruction surgery-
In a January 2022 study in The American Journal of Sports Medicine, a patient can expect a 70% return to sports activities within seven years of ACL reconstruction surgery.
This will help in-
- more comfortable movement.
- To prevent any kind of instability due to recent injuries.
Why should you consider getting ACL reconstruction surgery in India?
For the following reasons, India is the most popular destination for orthopedic surgery treatment.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical expertise,
- Affordable treatment cost
- Success rate
- Post-surgical follow-ups
- post-surgery rehabilitation(if necessary)
Our patients need high-quality and cost-effective health care that we can provide effectively in comparison to other countries around the globe.
How can we help you out with the treatment?
If you are in search of ACL reconstruction surgery hospitals in India, we will guide you throughout your medical treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.