Shoulder Replacement Surgery: Why Do You Need This?
If your shoulder joints are severely damaged or if you are unable to move them because of long-standing pain, then your surgeon may recommend shoulder replacement surgery for you. This will be helpful for relieving pain and restoring shoulder function as well.
But before going through such a procedure, you should know a few facts about it. Continue reading to learn more. Here we have discussed the same with an experienced shoulder replacement surgery specialist in India.
What is Shoulder replacement surgery?
Shoulder replacement surgery entails the removal of damaged regions of the shoulder and replacing such areas with artificial pieces. The surgery is done to reduce pain, and discomfort and increase mobility.
Types of shoulder replacement surgery performed in India-
- Total shoulder replacement- this procedure is anatomically correct. The ball and socket of the shoulder joint both are changed. The implants are designed to mimic the natural bone structure.
- Total shoulder replacement in reverse-The ball and socket are both replaced, but the implants are switched around. The socket is attached to the upper arm bone, whereas the ball is joined to the shoulder blade. This is usually the best option if the rotator cuff is significantly injured.
- Partial Shoulder Replacement- Only the joint's head (ball) is replaced. When only the ball side of the joint is injured or damaged, this procedure is advised.
Also, Read - Types of Bone Fractures and Their Differences
Why should you consider having shoulder replacement surgery?
As per the shoulder replacement surgery doctor in India, your surgeon may recommend the same only if other non-surgical treatment options(medicines, physiotherapy, exercises) have failed. You may feel pain, stiffness, and dragging in the shoulder.
The surgery is a treatment option for the following conditions that include-
- Fractured shoulder-Fractures of the upper end of the humerus( single long bone in the upper arm) may necessitate replacement as a result of the injury or when previous fracture fixation treatment has failed.
- Osteoarthritis-Osteoarthritis, also known as wear-and-tear arthritis, affects the cartilage that covers the ends of bones and allows joints to move freely.
- Rheumatoid arthritis- chronic inflammation of the joint that causes damage to the cartilage and synovial membrane as well.
- Osteonecrosis- reduced blood supply to the bone causes the bone cells to die. This leads to arthritis.
- Injury to the surrounding muscles- rotator cuff is the group of muscles related to the shoulder joint. Any injury to these muscles can affect the function of your shoulder joint.
Also, Read - Joint Fusion Surgery - Types, Procedure, Recovery
How the surgery is performed?
Your doctor will discuss the sedation or anesthesia procedure with you. He/she will do the best for you. If you have any queries you can ask your surgeon before the surgery.
- You may be given general anesthesia, and you will be completely unconscious throughout the procedure, or regional anesthesia, in which case you will be awake but sedated.
- To access the shoulder in a largely nerve-free area, the surgeon separates the deltoid and pectoral muscles (to minimize nerve damage).
- One of the front muscles of the rotator cuff, which covers the shoulder, is incised(cut) to open the shoulder.
- Now the surgeon can see and operate on the arthritic or damaged components of the shoulder ball and socket joint.
- The portions of the joint that are arthritic or damaged are removed.
- During surgery, surgeons replace the damaged "ball" of the shoulder joint(head of humorous bone) with a metal ball. They also cover the "socket" of the shoulder, known as the glenoid, with a plastic surface.
- The rotator cuff muscle incision is closed and sutured.
- A bandage is applied as a temporary covering to the outside wound or cut, which is cleaned and sutured back.
- A partial shoulder replacement is sometimes possible. Only the ball of the joint is replaced in this procedure.
The average time for a shoulder replacement procedure is two hours.
What can you expect after shoulder replacement surgery?
- After surgery, the patient will be taken to the post-anesthesia recovery unit, where they will rest for a few hours.
- You will feel some pain after the procedure like any other surgery. Patients who have received a nerve block may not feel pain until the block has worn off.
- Before moving on to solid foods, the patient will be offered liquids to assess what they can tolerate once they are more awake.
- To gain final post-operative views of the implants, a postoperative X-ray can be done on the day of surgery or the next day.
- An immobilizer will be placed on your shoulder. Don't try to move your shoulder until you are asked to do the same.
The length of your hospital stay after surgery can vary based on multiple factors. Many patients can get back home on the very same day.
Also, Read - Life After Hiatal Hernia Surgery - GERD Symptoms
How long be the recovery period after surgery?
- You should not be behind the wheel for at least 2-to 4 weeks.
- You are allowed to perform freehand home exercises after surgery under medical supervision.
- Do not lift anything with heavyweights.
- Do not perform any activities like pulling, pushing, or extending your arms in extreme positions that can stain your shoulder.
- It is necessary to have assistance with activities that require lifting anything heavier than a glass of water. Arrange for house help before the surgery(if you don’t have any)
Also, Read - Shoulder Replacement Surgery Recovery Time
The success rate of shoulder replacement surgery in India-
As per studies, the 10-year survival rate of the replaced shoulder joint is almost 90%. However, it may last more than 10-years based on the range of activities the patient has performed.
Why should you consider getting shoulder replacement surgery in India?
For the following reasons, India is the most popular destination for orthopedic surgery treatments like knee and shoulder replacement surgery in India-
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical expertise,
- Affordable treatment cost
- Success rate
- Post-surgical follow-ups
Our patients need high-quality and cost-effective health care that we can provide effectively in comparison to other countries around the globe.
How can we help you out with the treatment?
If you are in search of a well-equipped shoulder replacement surgery hospital in India, we will act as your guide throughout your medical treatment journey and will be present physically with you even before your treatment is started. We will provide you with the following:
- Expert physicians and surgeon’s opinions
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are committed to providing the best health care services to our patients. We have a team of trained and highly dedicated health experts who will be there by your side right from the beginning of your journey.