Osteoporosis: What is It? How To Prevent It?
Our complete skeleton is made up of bone. From giving us a structural framework to our body to protect our internal organs, our bones have taken up a lot many jobs. We should also take care of them if we know in detail about the diseases that can affect bones, how to prevent them, what are treatments available, and many more. In this blog, we will discuss the same with our eminent bone disorder specialist in India. So keep reading!
What is Osteoporosis?
Bone is a living tissue that breaks down(resorption) and forms(formation) on a regular basis. When the formation of new bone does not compensate for the loss of old bone, osteoporosis develops.
Osteoporosis causes bones to become weak and brittle and a fall or even mild stresses such as bending over or coughing can cause a fracture.
The hip, wrist, and spine are the most common sites for osteoporosis-related fractures.
How to know that you have osteoporosis?
- If your doctor suspects you have osteoporosis, they may start by checking your height if it has changed. The spine's bones are frequently the first to be affected by the condition, which can alter your height.
- They may suggest for DEXA scan for checking bone density.
- Computed Tomography(Quantitative CT scan)
How can you prevent fractures?
As suggested by a bone disorder doctor in India, a change in diet and exercise can help to prevent osteoporosis on a larger level.
- Calcium -Between the ages of 18 and 50, men and women require 1,000 mg of calcium each day. This daily dose climbs to 1,200 milligrams when women turn 50 and males turn 70.
- Vitamin D helps bone health by increasing the body's ability to absorb calcium.
- Regular exercise is helpful for developing strong bones and the prevention of bone loss. Exercise will benefit your bones no matter when you start, but you'll obtain the most benefits if you start exercising consistently when you're young and continue to exercise throughout your life.
What are the symptoms of osteoporosis?
Although there are no such visible symptoms for osteoporosis. That is why doctor’s called it as
‘The silent disease of bone’. But you can watch out for the following symptoms if your doctor suspects that you may have osteoporosis.
- Decrease in height
- Fragile bone
- More prone to fracture.
- Change in posture( bending or stooping position0
- Lower back pain
- Difficulty in breathing due to reduced lung capacity)
- Decreased lung capacity because of compressed disk
When to seek medical help for osteoporosis?
If you went through early menopause or used corticosteroids for several months as a treatment for any disease, or if either of your parents had hip fractures, you should talk to your doctor about osteoporosis.
How to treat osteoporosis?
Although osteoporosis has no cure, specific therapy can help to maintain the strength of your bones and can prevent them from fracture. These treatments can delay the breakdown or resorption of bone in your body. Some can even stimulate new bone growth too.
Your doctor may recommend you to follow some instructions including-
- Apart from the change in diet, your doctor may prescribe a few medicines like-
- Hormone replacement therapy- for men, testosterone may increase in bone density, and in women, estrogen can do the same.
- A change in lifestyle like leading an active and healthy lifestyle instead of a sedentary one.
- Supplements like a daily calcium intake of 1,000 mg to 1,200 mg from diet or supplements are suggested. Taking more calcium than this hasn't been linked to greater bone strength, but it has been linked to an increased risk of kidney stones, calcium buildup in blood vessels, and constipation. So don’t take anything on your own.
Why should you consider getting bone disorder treatment in India?
India is the most favored place for orthopedic surgical treatment operations for three major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge technology,
- medical skills, and
- Bone disorder treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality health care.
Conclusion-By simply packing their medical journey to India, hip replacement in India can substantially benefit the patient with their orthopedic-related therapies. We also offer a comprehensive range of physiotherapy and surgical therapies to international patients during their post-discharge recuperation vacations.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are searching for a bone disorder hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.