What You Should Know About Liver Transplant Criteria
If you are on this page, then we can consider that you or someone you know is suffering from end-stage liver disease and your doctor has suggested a liver transplant. Currently, in India, around 1800 liver transplants (LT) are performed each year(as per the data from the Indian Liver Transplant Registry, 2019). However, everyone can’t undergo such a procedure. There are certain criteria that need to be fulfilled to have a successful liver transplant surgery. Here we have discussed the same including living liver transplant criteria with our experts.
Why does someone need to have a liver transplant?
A liver transplant is a surgery that replaces a failing or diseased liver with a healthy liver from someone else's body. You can either receive a whole liver from a recently deceased donor or a portion of a liver from a living donor.
The divided liver has the potential to grow back to the original liver in the donor’s or recipient’s body.
The criteria for a liver transplant, according to current practice recommendations, need a person to:
-have irreversible liver disease that would be fatal if not treated with a transplant
-have no contraindications to transplantation surgery
-pass a thorough transplant evaluation process
Also, Read - Why Should You Go For Liver Transplant In India?
What are the liver transplant criteria:
- Liver transplant criteria for donor- A living donor liver transplant could be a life-saving option in comparison to a deceased donor liver transplant.
To be considered for this treatment, potential donors and recipients must meet certain eligibility criteria.
The criteria are guidelines, and they may differ slightly between liver transplant centres.
As suggested by the hepatologist, to be a donor for a liver transplant, you need to have the following eligibility criteria-
- The age of the person should be 18 years -55 tears old
- Overall physical health is good
- No traces of active infection or malignancy
- Absence of heart, lung, and kidney disease
- Absence of systemic or pulmonary hypertension
However, you need to know that a donor can revoke their decision up until surgery.
- Liver transplant criteria for the recipient-
To be a listed donor, there should be certain criteria for the recipient that need to be followed-
- Liver disease shouldn’t be too severe.
- Need transplant center’s approval for liver transplant
- Finding a compatible donor is necessary
When you can’t consider a liver transplant?
Apart from the above-mentioned, the excluding criteria for liver transplant include-
- Choric alcohol intake for more than 6 months
- Abuse of substances
- Disabling psychiatric conditions
- Active infections
- Medical noncompliance with documentation
- Inadequate social support
- insufficient insurance
- Other ailments or illnesses
- Poor overall health status
Also, Read - How Much Does Liver Transplant Costs in India?
What is the MELD score in liver transplant criteria?
Anyone suffering from a significant liver condition should be aware of what a MELD score is and how doctors calculate it.
A MELD score can assist evaluate how quickly you need a liver transplant if you are a candidate.
Also helps to understand the chances of a patient’s survival during the next three months.
Understanding the association between liver transplant and MELD score:
The MELD score, which ranges from six to forty, is based on the results of multiple lab tests. When an organ becomes available, the greater the number, the more likely you are to receive a liver from a deceased donor.
Why should you consider getting a liver transplant in India?
India is the most favoured place for cancer treatment operations for a few major reasons.
- India's cutting-edge techniques,
- Research studies and successful implications in the health care sector
- NABH accredited hospitals
- Assured quality care
- medical skills, and
- Liver transplant treatment costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All of these have significantly increased the success rate of liver transplants in India.
By simply packing their medical travel to India, organ transplant treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counselling for coping with changes to our national and international patients as well.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a liver transplant hospital in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.