What to Eat and What Not: Diet After Fistula Surgery
Your bowel movements are closely associated with what you eat. This association becomes stronger when you have a gastrointestinal issue like fistula. Your doctor will always advise you to adjust your diet if you have a gastrointestinal ailment or condition such as piles, fistula, fissure, etc. This aids in the relief of symptoms as well as helps in having smooth bowel motions. Knowing the food items that you need to eat and which ones to avoid will help in easy recovery and keep the complications associated with fistula healing at bay. Here we’ve discussed the same in brief.
Foods you need to avoid:
- Spicy Foods: If you enjoy spicy foods, you will have to refrain from eating them until you have recovered. Spicy foods should be avoided by people with fistulas because they can aggravate the condition. Spicy foods can induce bloating, pain, and blood during bowel movements. It can aggravate your disease, which is why physicians advise you to avoid spicy foods.
- Gluten: For those who are unfamiliar with the term, gluten is a large protein that is difficult to digest. As a result, it should be consumed in moderation, if not avoided entirely.
- Caffeine and Alcohol: Caffeinated beverages, as well as alcohol, should be avoided. They promote dehydration and water loss in the body. This will thicken your stool, making bowel movements more difficult.
- Dairy Products: All dairy products are high in fat and low in fiber, which can induce constipation in some people and diarrhea in others. When dealing with a fistula, it is bad for you in either case.
- High Sugar Content: Foods with high sugar content are difficult on the digestive system, slowing the digestion process. You should avoid foods containing sweets such as sugar and corn syrup, to name a few.
- Fatty and fried foods: No matter how much you enjoy deep-fried chicken wings, burgers, pizzas, or fries, it is best to avoid them. Fried foods, which are heavy in fat and poor in fiber, increase the risk of constipation. This inhibits digestion and can thicken the stool, causing pain and discomfort in the affected area.
Also, Read - Gastric Bypass Surgery Diet Plan for Long Term
Foods that will help you heal after fistula surgery:
If we have to talk about the top seven foods to eat after surgery, here is a list that includes vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, fiber, and fats.
- Seasonal fruits and vegetables: They supply both vitamins and minerals. Consume carrots, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. You can prepare clear soups with these vegetables as part of your supper. Green vegetables are high in vitamin K, which helps prevent blood clotting during recuperation.
- Seasonal fruits: Choose fresh fruits over processed ones. Include antioxidants such as grapes, pomegranates, berries, and oranges, which contain Vitamin C and aid in tissue regeneration.
- Egg: This is simple to prepare and eat and can be an excellent healing food. It contains a lot of iron and protein.
- Probiotics: These are the beneficial microorganisms that your body requires throughout recuperation. It aids digestion, fights bacteria, and reduces constipation and nausea. Yogurt and milk products help to strengthen your bones, which may have deteriorated throughout treatment. In other words, it's high in calcium.
- Coconut water: Dehydration is a typical side effect of surgery. A sufficient amount of water, particularly coconut water, aids in immune system enhancement. It boosts your metabolism and provides rapid energy.
- Healthy fats(nuts, avocado, olive oil): Healthy fats in the proper amount are essential for preventing vitamin absorption in the body.
- Sweet Potatoes: It is an excellent source of vitamins A, C, B6, carbohydrates, fiber, calcium, folate, and calcium. It keeps your heart healthy and helps in the growth of new healthy tissues in the body.
Aside from these foods, you should eat on time, avoid big meals, and drink plenty of water. However, if the problem persists or you have severe pain or discomfort, you should consult your doctor right away.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of fistula surgery treatment in India and want to know about the fistula surgery recovery diet from our experts, we will serve as your guide throughout your medical treatment and will be physically present with you even before it begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangements for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
Our team is dedicated to offering the highest quality health trip and care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.