Open Heart Surgery- Types, Procedure, Recovery Period -Know It All
Open heart surgery can treat various heart-related issues including cardiac failure, congenital heart defects, arrhythmias, aneurysms, and coronary artery diseases. In open-heart surgery, the chest is opened and surgery on the heart's muscles, valves, or arteries is performed. In this blog, we have discussed the same. Keep on reading to learn more.
Why do you need to undergo open-heart surgery?
Patients suffering from coronary heart disease may need open-heart surgery to receive a coronary artery bypass graft. Coronary heart disease is caused by the constriction and hardening of the coronary arteries, which supply the heart muscle with blood and oxygen. Hardening occurs when fatty material forms a plaque on the walls of the coronary arteries. This deposit narrows the arteries, making blood flow difficult, and increasing the risk of a heart attack when blood supply to the heart is impeded.
Open heart surgery is also performed for a variety of different reasons, including:
- The heart valves, which allow blood to circulate through the heart, will be repaired or replaced.
- To repair any damaged or abnormal areas of the heart.
- Implanting medical devices (pacemakers) that will help your heart to beat properly.
- For heart transplantation
Also, Read - Why Does Congenital Heart Disease Happen?
How the surgery is performed?
Open heart surgery is performed in the following way.
- General anesthesia is administered to the patient. This assures that they will remain sleeping and pain-free throughout the procedure.
- The surgeon creates an 8- to 10-inch incision in the patient's chest.
- To expose the heart, the surgeon slices through all or part of the patient's breastbone.
- The patient may be attached to a heart-lung bypass machine after the heart is seen. The equipment diverts blood away from the heart, allowing the surgeon to operate. This machine is not used in some recent operations.
- The surgeon creates a new path around the obstructed artery by using a healthy vein or artery.
- The surgeon uses wire to seal the breastbone, leaving the wire inside the body.
- The initial incision has been closed.
- Sternal plating is sometimes used for high-risk patients, such as those who have undergone many procedures or are elderly. Sternal plating is the process of rejoining the breastbone with tiny titanium plates after surgery.
How long is the recovery period?
Your initial recovery will take 6-8 weeks following open-heart surgery. When you are discharged from the hospital, your health care team will provide you with specific instructions on what you can do at home to help you recover.
Types of open-heart surgery:
There are two approaches to open-heart surgery:
- On-pump: A heart-lung bypass machine attaches to the heart and temporarily replaces the heart and lungs. It moves blood away from the heart while circulating blood throughout the body. The surgeon then performs surgery on a heart that isn't beating and has no blood supply. After surgery, the surgeon removes the device, and the heart resumes normal function.
- Off-pump bypass surgery is performed on a heart that is still beating normally. This method is solely applicable to coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) surgery (bypass surgery). This may be referred to as beating-heart surgery by your surgeon.
Also, Read - Symptoms Of Various Heart Diseases- Know It All
Do you need to undergo post-operative rehabilitation after open-heart surgery?
The majority of open-heart surgery patients benefit from an organized, all-inclusive rehabilitation program. This is normally done outpatient, with many visits each week. The program's components include exercise, risk factor reduction, and dealing with stress, anxiety, and depression.
Why should you consider getting open heart surgery in India?
- India's cutting-edge techniques,
- medical skills, and
- Open heart surgery costs in India are among the best in the world, as our patients need affordable and quality outcomes.
All these have significantly increased the success rate of heart treatment in India.
By simply packing their medical travel to India, pediatric cardiac treatment can substantially benefit the patient. We also offer a comprehensive range of counselling for coping with emotional changes to our international patients.
How can we help in the treatment?
If you are in search of a heart doctor in India, we will serve as your guide throughout your treatment and will be physically present with you even before your treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance in hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality health care to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health professionals that will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.