Liver Cancer Treatment: All You Need to Know
Liver cancer is life-threatening and one of the fastest growing cancer types in India. In recent years, several advancements in treating liver cancer have happened. While surgery is considered an effective cancer treatment for liver cancer, it is not suitable for all patients. With optimum research and innovative treatment, doctors have considered other treatment options for their patients. Here we’ve covered the various liver cancer treatment options in India.
Book free consulting session with HealthTrip expert
What are the symptoms associated with liver cancer?
As per the best doctor in India, when liver cancer is in its early stages, you may not notice any symptoms. The symptoms of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are as follows:
- A lump beneath your rib cage, pain on the right side of your abdomen, or pain near your right shoulder are all symptoms of a bowel obstruction.
- Jaundice (a disease that causes yellowing of the skin and eyes).
- Unknown causes of weight loss, nausea, or loss of appetite
- Dark-colored urine.
Diagnosing liver cancer:
The following tests and procedures are used to diagnose liver cancer:
- Blood tests are performed. Blood tests may reveal abnormalities in liver function.
- Imaging examinations Your doctor may advise you to undergo imaging tests such as an ultrasound, CT scan, or MRI.
- Taking a liver tissue sample for testing. A piece of liver tissue must sometimes be removed for laboratory testing in order to make a definitive diagnosis of liver cancer.
How is liver cancer treated?
As per our expert doctors practicing in the best hospitals in India, although liver cancer is often curable, it can be difficult to treat.
Your treatment will be determined by:
- Whether cancer begins in the liver (primary) or spreads from somewhere else (secondary)
- The extent of your liver cancer
- The type or nature of your liver cancer
- If it has become widespread
- Your overall health
To treat such cancers, surgery, chemotherapy, using heat to destroy cancer (thermal ablation), targeted medicines, and radiotherapy may all be used.
- Surgery: The surgical procedure involves the removal of the tumor along with some nearby healthy tissue. It is likely to be the most effective disease-directed treatment, especially for patients with normal liver function and tumors that can be safely removed from a small portion of the liver. If the tumor takes up too much of the liver, the liver is too damaged, if the tumor has spread outside the liver, or if the patient has other systemic disorders, surgery may not be an option.
- Chemotherapy: Chemotherapy is typically administered to cancer's blood vessels in the case of liver cancer. Its goal is to halt the progression of cancer. This is known as chemoembolization.
Chemoembolisation is usually used to help shrink cancer or to control and improve symptoms. This is done if you are too sick to have surgery or if cancer cannot be removed through surgery.
- Targeted therapy: The medicines used in targeted therapy aim to stop cancer from spreading. They can shrink advanced cancer and slow down its growth.
If you have liver cancer, you may be treated with targeted medicines if you meet the following criteria:
-You are too sick to have surgery, or cancer cannot be surgically removed.
- Advanced-stage cancer that has spread to other parts of the body.
- Radiotherapy: In radiotherapy, radiation is used on cancer cells. Selective internal radiation therapy (SIRT) is a type of radiotherapy that is sometimes used to treat liver cancer. To stop cancer from spreading, radioactive beads are injected into your liver's blood supply.
If you are an adult and have the following characteristics, you may have SIRT for liver cancer:
-Your liver has not been severely harmed.
-Surgery cannot remove cancer.
- Thermal ablation: Thermal ablation destroys cancer by using an electric current or microwaves.
Thermal ablation may be used to treat liver cancer if surgery is not an option due to illness or if surgery cannot remove cancer.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of liver cancer treatment in India, our health trip advisors will serve as your guide throughout the treatment. They will be physically present with you even before the medical treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality medical tourism in India to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health trip advisors who will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.