From Causes to Treatment Options, Here’s All You Need to Know about Colon Cancer
Colorectal cancer has become one of the major health-related issues worldwide, with more than 1.93 million deaths globally by 2025. However, with the advancement in technology and medical expertise, the colon cancer survival rate has increased. It is possible to fight colon cancer if diagnosed and treated early. There are multiple treatment approaches that you can consider for treating such cases. The chosen treatment option will depend on the stage of cancer. However, due to their age and weakened immune systems, elderly people may face complex challenges on their path to recovery.
Understanding the causes of colon cancer:
As per our experts associated with medical tourism in India, the following are the factors that can cause colon cancer.
- Colorectal cancer is linked to getting older. According to the study, 90% of colorectal cancers are diagnosed after the age of 40.
- Colorectal cancer can be caused by a consistent and long-term habit of eating a lot of fat.
- A family history of colorectal cancer and polyps may predispose to this disease.
- Colorectal cancer may develop if the large intestine harbors polyps for an extended period of time.
- Colorectal cancer can be caused by chronic ulcerative colitis and inflammatory bowel disease.
Signs and symptoms associated with colon cancer:
There are multiple sets of symptoms for colorectal cancer, and these are non-specific.
Colorectal cancer symptoms are nonspecific and numerous.
- Weakness, fatigue
- shortness of breath
- diarrhea or constipation
- narrow stools
- changes in bowel habits
- bright blood in stool
- abdominal pain
Apart from these, other symptoms may occur. Colorectal cancer can develop for years without causing symptoms.
Tell me the best way to diagnose colorectal cancer:
As per the best doctors in India, colon cancer screening tests can reduce the risk of dying of colon cancer. Cancer screening tests for healthy people with no such symptoms should also undergo diagnostic tests and procedures. Finding colon cancer at its earliest stage provides ample chances of curing it completely.
The following are the tests that your doctor may recommend if you’re showing signs and symptoms of colon cancer.
- Colonoscopy: A long, thin, flexible tube is attached to a video camera which helps your doctor to view the entire colon and rectum.
- Blood tests: No such blood tests can detect colon cancer. However, this may provide clues to your overall health.
What are the options available for colon cancer treatment in India?
As per our experts practicing in the best hospital in India, a number of factors influence colon cancer treatment. Your doctor will recommend the best treatment plan for you based on your overall health and the stage of your colon cancer.
In the early stages of colon cancer, your surgeon may be able to remove cancerous polyps through surgery. If the polyp hasn't attached to the bowel wall, you have a good chance of survival.
Your surgeon may need to remove a portion of your colon or rectum as well as nearby lymph nodes if cancer has spread to the bowel walls. Your surgeon may be able to reconnect the remaining healthy colon to the rectum. If this is not possible, a colostomy may be performed. Through this, an opening in the abdominal wall is created for removing the waste materials.
Chemotherapy is the use of drugs or medicines to specifically destroy cancer cells. Chemotherapy is commonly used after surgery to destroy lingering cancerous cells in people with colon cancer. Chemotherapy also inhibits tumor growth.
The following chemotherapy drugs are used to treat colon cancer:
- Irinotecan (Camptosar)
Chemotherapy frequently causes side effects that must be managed with additional medication.
Before and after surgery, radiation uses a powerful beam of energy similar to that used in X-rays to target and destroy cancerous cells. In severe cases, radiation therapy is often used in conjunction with chemotherapy.
How can we help with the treatment?
If you are in search of colon cancer treatment in India, our health trip advisors will serve as your guide throughout the treatment. They will be physically present with you even before the medical treatment begins. The following will be provided to you:
- Opinions of expert physicians and surgeons
- Transparent communication
- Coordinated care
- Prior appointment with specialists
- Assistance with hospital formalities
- 24*7 availability
- Arrangement for travel
- Assistance for accommodation and healthy recovery
- Assistance in emergencies
We are dedicated to offering the highest quality medical tourism in India to our patients. We have a team of highly qualified and devoted health trip advisors who will be by your side from the beginning of your journey.