Amblyopia Treatment Treatment in India
Amblyopia Treatment for Adults
- The average cost of Amblyopia treatment can range anywhere between 800 USD to 2000 USD, depending on coexisting eye conditions.
- Despite being a gradual procedure, treatment success rates are as high as 90% in adults.
- Spectra Eye, Apollo Spectra, Centre for Sight and Fortis are some of the best hospitals to undergo treatment. Some of India’s most skilled professionals consulted for this procedure are Suraj Munjal,Dr Aarti Nangia and Dr. Anita Sethi
- The treatment plan varies depending on the person but requires a stay of 2-3 weeks in India.
About Amblyopia Treatment
Amblyopia is one of the most common yet most missed conditions. Also known as the ‘lazy eye’ condition, it mostly affects one eye, which makes diagnosis difficult, as the visual system adjusts. Once diagnosed, the treatment is pretty straightforward. In essence, it includes eye drops that cause blurriness in the stronger eye, patching up the stronger eye, vision therapy, and in case of comorbidity, surgery for cataracts, or strabismus. The treatment focuses on rewiring the visual apparatus in a way that information doesn’t go through the stronger eye only, which makes it a gradual process, especially if treatment happens in adulthood. There may be minor discomfort due to eye drops, visual therapy, or the patching and complications due to surgical interventions. Doctors can handle these with proper care.
What Causes Amblyopia
- The improper visual stimulation of both eyes during childhood (0-6 years of age.)
- Refractive errors like myopia, hypermetropia, and astigmatism at a young age that interfere with a clear vision when left untreated lead to the eyes readjusting information processing. This shifts the burden to the stronger eye.
- Constant strabismus (constant turn of one eye, crossed eyes), anisometropia (different vision/prescriptions in each eye), or trauma leading to the blockage of an eye, drooping of the lid, etc., are the most common reasons that cause amblyopia.
Risks Associated with Amblyopia Treatment
The eye is one of the most delicate sensory systems in the human body, and thus, vision correction is often risky and complicated. Amblyopia treatment in India, though highly reliable and safe, comes with its fair share of risks involved. The success rates vary in children and adults as the procedure often loses its efficacy, and it then becomes imperative to correct underlying causes. Surgical correction for strabismus, LASIK for high power, cataract surgery, and astigmatism correction are all some of the procedures that accompany traditional amblyopia treatment in adults. Due to the nature of the correction, there may be risks associated with each procedure. These risks include redness, chances of infection, droopiness, and discomfort because of the eye drops, difficulty driving, and, most of all; there is a possibility that it may not cure the lazy eye instantly. Doctors advise people to be patient and thorough with the process to ensure satisfying results.
- Proper vision and power assessments are done by the ophthalmologist to assess the real power and underlying cause.
- The patient is required to share their medical history well in advance, and it is recommended they come prepared with the exact details of prior surgeries or medical issues.
- The doctor will check for coexisting conditions such as strabismus, droopy eye, cataracts, etc. before finalizing a treatment plan.
- Doctors advise the patient to wear the eye patch and administer the eye drops that cause blurriness in the stronger eye regularly for a stipulated time.
- If coexisting conditions are causing the lazy eye, doctors may correct them through single-sitting surgical procedures: strabismus correction, cataracts, etc.
- Strabismus correction is conducted under general anesthesia and is a muscle rewiring surgery that corrects the squint that may cause lazy-eye. It is a purely cosmetic procedure as vision therapy is required to restore lost functioning in the weaker eye.
- The ophthalmologist offers regular and vigorous vision therapy.
- For surgical corrections for comorbid issues like strabismus and cataracts, doctors suggest the patient follow proper care guidelines to avoid infections.
- Due to surgical intervention or eye patch/eye drops, doctors recommend that the patient doesn’t drive, apply cosmetic products, or engage in activities that may cause strain and risk damage.
- The patient has to go for regular vision acuity tests to monitor depth perception and ensure the strengthening of the weaker eye.
- For most patients, treatment may continue for longer durations to correct visual input and strengthen both eyes equally.
- Doctors may suggest prescription eye drops for long-term use and correction glasses to some patients.
Factors affecting treatment cost in India
Treatment Cost in India: With the excellent medical infrastructure in place, patients from all over the globe widely seek amblyopia treatment in India. The average cost of treatment in India ranges from anywhere between 800 USD to 2000 USD (depending on the intervention needed.) Some of the best hospitals are MAX Superspeciality, FORTIS Hospitals etc.
Treatment Cost in Delhi: Delhi is at the throne with its team of medical professionals and services provided. Packages are customized based on the need of the patient and the kind of intervention required.
“I got my LASIK done and a strabismus surgery to correct my squint; however, most doctors gave up on my lazy eye saying that it should have been corrected when I was a kid. However, I had heard highly of Chennai’s medical staff, and I’m so glad I approached Hospals for it. The journey was long and painful, but I can happily say that I’m on my way to full recovery now. I gained a good 89% vision in my lazy eye and doctors are hopeful that with visual therapy, I may be able to achieve a 100.”
- Nikita Nandy, UAE
“If you are an adult with a lazy eye, you will be repeatedly told how you are a lost cause. I can guarantee that you are not. I reached out to Hospals last year during one of my visits to India, and here I am, with my eye functioning to its maximum capacity. Visual therapy by some of the best ophthalmologists in India helped me get there, and I am grateful for it.”
- Sudam Nihaal, Yemen
“Getting my eyes treated has been daunting. Yet, I found the courage to reach out to Hospals, and I have never regretted it! My lazy eye had gone unnoticed and untreated for so long that I felt like I had no vision in that eye. It turns out; there was hope. Here I am, a year later, and I couldn’t be happier with the treatment results. I highly recommend MAX Patparganj in Delhi, Hospals and visual therapy to correct this condition.”
- Saira Afaaq, Algeria
“Amblyopia is no joke. It is sad that so many of us live with it and never receive treatment because doctors give up. I can safely say that my visit to India was the best gift I gave myself. I’m on the path to retaining complete vision in my lazy eye, and I thank Hospals and Sankara Nethralaya for it.”
- Farikh Siddiqui, Saudi Arabia
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?