Deep Brain Stimulation Treatment in India
Deep Brain Stimulation cost In India
- The cost of deep brain stimulation In India is around USD 10000, which varies depending upon various factors.
- There is a 90% success rate of deep brain stimulation treatment In India, which makes India one of the world's most preferred countries for deep brain stimulation.
- Medanta Hospital, Artemis Hospital, Apollo Hospital and Max Super Speciality Hospital are some of the best hospitals for deep brain stimulation treatment. Some of the veterans and highly skilled doctors are Dr Arun Saroha, Dr. V.K. Jain, and Dr. Richa Singh.
- Deep brain stimulation is a three-day procedure in the hospital, and patients need to stay for almost ten days in India.
About Deep Brain Stimulation
Deep brain stimulation or DBS is the process of implanting a device in the brain (called neurostimulator) that produces electrical impulses responsible for regulating abnormal impulses or abnormal brain activities. To control the amount of stimulations in the Deep brain stimulation, a doctor places a pacemaker-like device under the skin in the upper chest. Without affecting major brain functions, DBS is a method of inactivating parts of the brain responsible for Parkinson's disease.
In DBS procedure, surgeons place electrodes in the thalamus to treat tremors and place it in the globus pallidus and subthalamic nucleus for Parkinson's disease.
Successful deep brain stimulation treats conditions like tremors,epilepsy,obsessive-compulsive disorder, Parkinson's disease (a neurological movement disorder), and dystonia (movement disorder in muscles).
- Difficulty in walking
- Mood swings
Doctors perform a regular physical examination, enquire about the medical history, and family history.
- MRI: Doctors perform an MRI to take a complete and detailed image of the brain.
- Neurological Examination: Neurological examination helps in diagnosing various activities that are affected like walking, taste, smell, speaking ability, balance, and strength.
- Electroencephalogram: EEG helps doctors in examining the brain's electrical impulses.
Deep Brain Stimulation Procedure
Before beginning the procedure, surgeons place a head frame to keep the head in place during the procedure, with the help of surgical screws and pins. The procedure has two stages;-
- First, the surgeon makes a hole in the skull through which leads having electrodes at the end will be surgically placed in the area that is responsible for the symptoms.The leads can be placed either on the left or right side as the symptoms are shown.
- After one week, the surgeon performs the second procedure. In the second procedure, surgeons implant one or two battery-powered pulse generator devices in the upper chest area, under the skin.
- Next, the surgeon attaches extension wires to the lead (already positioned in the brain) and tunnels that widen under the skin from behind the ear down the neck to the pulse generator device.
- The patient has to revisit the doctor after two to three weeks of the surgery. Now the surgeon turns on the implanted pulse generator with a hand held device. The hand device also checks the battery level and can also turn on and off the device.
- The patient will have to visit the doctor several times post-surgery to check whether the device is working properly or not.
Deep Brain Stimulation Cost in India
The total cost of Deep brain stimulation depends upon various factors like choice of hospital, number of days in the hospital and in India, selection of the city or state for treatment, fees of the doctors, and so on.
I was suffering a lot from abnormal brain activities and was skeptical about being on medication for the rest of my life. The only way out to this was deep brain stimulation. Aware of India's medical facilities, I decided to get my brain stimulation done from India and was also sure about Hospals as I had heard about it from a couple of people around me. I knew I was opting for the best, and Hospals served me way more than what I was expecting. Every day in India was planned by Hospals. The appointment was prefixed, the surgery date was scheduled, follow-ups were up to the mark. Fantastic stay and excellent services from day one till the day I left. One of the best platforms I have come across so far.
- Kadeem Khan, Saudi Arabia
We were in India for about a month for my father's deep brain stimulation surgery under the best medical platform Hospals. In the initial days, we were suffering a lot due to the language barrier. But a big thanks to Hospals for providing a translator who was with us most of the time. We were even provided with assistance by him throughout the treatment. My father's deep brain stimulation surgery went smoothly without any complications. We were under India's one of the best brain surgeons for the entire month. We received the most comprehensive pre and post-operative treatment. Everything under one roof in a pocket-friendly budget was a deal to grab. Thank you, Hospals.
- Pedram Gilani, Iran
After my successful deep brain stimulation surgery, my family decided to go sightseeing in Delhi to lighten my mood. After all the amazing medical services and arrangements, we were amazed to see how Hospals arranged for our sightseeing planning. Hospals suggested some really good places and even arranged for conveyance and everything. Very impressive services and fantastic professionalism. Well trained staff and excellent maintenance. For all the medical tourists, please give Hospals a try and fall in love with its services and packages.
- Kerry Zoe, Australia
After being on medication for almost a year now, my doctor suggested deep brain stimulation to be the best option. I was convinced, and one day while casually surfing on the internet, I landed on Hospals website and what else I could ask for. Every single detail was covered in the package. I got in touch with Hospals through mails and got a revert within an hour. In the next two hours, we discussed almost every detail, and I was ready to come to India for the surgery. I was received at the airport from one of the Hospals member and had my appointment fixed the next day in Mumbai with one of the very veteran doctor.
- Kamal Ahmad, Bangladesh
How It Works
Need help in organizing medical travel to India?